Thursday, December 01, 2005

Previous Team Sports

Are defensive or offensive (as in offensive, not offensive) mindsets a result of assigned roles in team sports or does your personality dictate areas of strength in athletics? It's like asking which came first...fat guys or the Monster Burger?

Most ultimate players are much more effective at one versus the other, which is obvious in other sports as well (ie the recent KFAN debate on Torii Hunter versus Paul Konerko). Those that really excel at both are few.

This ended up being more a question post than a statement post, but has previous sports experience influenced your role in ultimate? Does your existing skill set have a greater pull (no pun intended)?

(As for me, I play or have played sweeper in soccer, rebounding 4-man in basketball, 2nd base in baseball, and blocker in volleyball. I appear to be set in my ways.)

3 Comments:

At December 02, 2005 4:27 PM, Blogger sometallskinnykid said...

From bball, i was usually the point guard. Before everyone else hit puberty, that meant I shot and scored a lot. After puberty, that meant I passed the ball to the big kids.

So that is why I am always barking at people. Oh yeah, I am a coach's kid as well. We are always smarter than non-coach's kids.

 
At December 03, 2005 9:24 AM, Blogger Seigs said...

I find that baseball players (and sometimes goalies) often have an easier time learning to lay out for discs...Especially guys like me who used dared pitchers to try to pick me off...

 
At December 05, 2005 8:28 AM, Blogger Schmelz said...

I was playing some indoor with the old college team this past weekend, and they have a freshman who had a solid base of skills. He was a very good tennis player in high school, which seems to translate very well.

Oh, and I'm a coach's/principal's kid, which is why I'm not quiet, either.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home